Costa Rica participates from April 5 to 7 in the tenth edition of the World Travel Market Latin America (WTM) fair, the main world event for the travel and tourism industry in Latin America, at the Expo Center Norte in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The event seeks to discover, recognize and promote examples of good practices in Responsible Tourism in our continent and announced the 2nd Responsible Tourism Award, which was delivered TODAY April 6, 2022 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
This 2nd Responsible Tourism Award is part of the Global Responsible Tourism Awards family of awards, which validate good practices, providing replicable models of good practices. The categories of the Awards are:
• Decarbonization of the travel and tourism sector
• Support employees and communities during the pandemic
• Destinations that support a more sustainable post-COVID reconstruction
• Increasing diversity in tourism: How inclusive is our industry?
The second edition of the Responsible Tourism Award had 47 registered projects. Of these, 14 finalists were selected and the prizes were awarded on April 6, 2022.
This time Costa Rica receives TWO GOLD awards:
• Costa Rican Network of Accessible Tourism is awarded for its DONATAPA project with which it reduces plastic waste from the environment and converts it into accessibility implements in natural areas of the country.
For Stephanie Sheehy, founding member of the
Costa Rican Network of Accessible Tourism, she mentions that “receiving this award fills her heart with optimism and pride. We continue to place Costa Rica on the world map as an innovative sustainable and responsible destination where we not only work on environmental sustainability but also on the Social axis.”
Both gave a message of thanks to the organization for carrying out these awards, since they promote and encourage the work of organizations and companies that, even after some challenging times derived from the pandemic, continue with their missions of sustainability and responsibility.